Property News - These are England’s best places to be a homebuyer



Posted on Monday, November 22, 2021

 

The latest research by Birmingham estate and lettings agent, Barrows and Forrester, shows where England’s most promising homebuyer markets are, based on the property market balance between sales and rentals. 

Across England, there are currently some 614,546 properties listed on the housing market, 82% of which are for sale with the remaining 18% for rent. For budding homebuyers looking to find parts of the country where sale properties are most plentiful, there are a number of standout English locations to consider. 

On the Isle of Wight, for sale properties make up 96% of the homes currently on the market, leaving just 4% for the rental market, and it's a similar story in Cornwall where for sale homes account for 95% of today’s market leaving 5% for rental.

In Northumberland, 94% of homes on the market are for sale; 93% of the market in Cumbria and Herefordshire is currently made up of sale properties, while 91% of the market in Wiltshire, West Sussex, and Gloucestershire is homes for sale rather than let. 

Finally, Rutland, Shropshire, Norfolk, and Northamptonshire respectively all have markets made up of 90% homes for sale. 

At the other end of the scale, the City of London has the lowest percentage of sale homes on the market, accounting for just 61% while rental homes account for 39% of everything currently available.  

It’s a similar story in Durham where homes for sale account for just 64% of the market, and Tyne and Wear where they account for 69%.

Managing Director of Barrows and Forrester, James Forrester, commented:

“The housing market in England is experiencing a period of unprecedented demand and in many areas of the market competition for available stock is fierce. As a result, some buyers are struggling to even make it to a viewing before homes are going under offer and so speed is certainly of the essence, that and being in a proceedable position to submit an offer right away. 

The good news is that the property sales market does account for the majority of market activity across the nation and so the current landscape certainly favours homebuyers over those looking to rent. 

However, some areas pose a better chance of securing a property than others due to the imbalance of homes for sale versus those to rent and it helps to know just how competitive your chosen market is when looking to buy.”

Table shows split between sale and rental properties currently listed on the housing market in various locations around England, ranked from highest sales % from lowest.

County

Total - Sales

Total - Rent

Total - sales and rentals county level

Sales %

Rent %

Isle of Wight

2,286

101

2,387

96%

4%

Cornwall

7,380

391

7,771

95%

5%

Northumberland

3,255

202

3,457

94%

6%

Cumbria

5,208

363

5,571

93%

7%

Herefordshire

1,897

133

2,030

93%

7%

Wiltshire

8,437

815

9,252

91%

9%

West Sussex

12,164

1,229

13,393

91%

9%

Gloucestershire

10,402

1,070

11,472

91%

9%

Rutland

501

53

554

90%

10%

Shropshire

4,964

536

5,500

90%

10%

Norfolk

12,108

1,327

13,435

90%

10%

Northamptonshire

9,096

1,005

10,101

90%

10%

Suffolk

10,050

1,198

11,248

89%

11%

Essex

33,220

4,116

37,336

89%

11%

Lancashire

17,271

2,257

19,528

88%

12%

North Yorkshire

11,595

1,518

13,113

88%

12%

Somerset

12,126

1,631

13,757

88%

12%

East Riding of Yorkshire

5,416

751

6,167

88%

12%

Cheshire

12,663

1,854

14,517

87%

13%

Bedfordshire

7,891

1,157

9,048

87%

13%

Dorset

12,330

1,852

14,182

87%

13%

Worcestershire

5,796

872

6,668

87%

13%

Kent

31,432

4,731

36,163

87%

13%

East Sussex

12,558

1,978

14,536

86%

14%

Staffordshire

10,201

1,608

11,809

86%

14%

Hertfordshire

15,463

2,509

17,972

86%

14%

Cambridgeshire

10,672

1,742

12,414

86%

14%

Buckinghamshire

10,276

1,695

11,971

86%

14%

Surrey

18,258

3,042

21,300

86%

14%

Devon

16,067

2,710

18,777

86%

14%

City of Bristol

7,425

1,350

8,775

85%

15%

Derbyshire

10,424

1,931

12,355

84%

16%

Lincolnshire

12,328

2,462

14,790

83%

17%

Hampshire

22,756

4,963

27,719

82%

18%

Greater Manchester

24,255

5,907

30,162

80%

20%

Merseyside

14,152

3,510

17,662

80%

20%

Warwickshire

6,741

1,875

8,616

78%

22%

Oxfordshire

7,956

2,388

10,344

77%

23%

South Yorkshire

11,480

3,612

15,092

76%

24%

Berkshire

11,404

3,775

15,179

75%

25%

Greater London

99,528

34,200

133,728

74%

26%

West Yorkshire

18,857

7,005

25,862

73%

27%

West Midlands (county)

21,595

8,040

29,635

73%

27%

Nottinghamshire

10,341

3,869

14,210

73%

27%

Bath and North East Somerset

2,107

808

2,915

72%

28%

Leicestershire

9,262

3,817

13,079

71%

29%

Tyne and Wear

9,525

4,315

13,840

69%

31%

Durham

825

464

1,289

64%

36%

City of London

236

154

390

61%

39%

           

England

614,546

135,456

750,002

82%

18%






arrow up